Who Permits What


People undertaking a home building project don’t always know what is actually required for erosion and sediment control. Below are some suggestions to help you stay in compliance and stabilize your site properly. 

The minimum you must do is to protect adjoining properties and natural resources from sediment damage and establish ground cover quickly.  Off-site tracking can be adequately controlled by installing and maintaining a gravel construction entrance.  Silt fence along the lower site of the property can protect the neighbor and the creek  You may need a culvert under the driveway and a storm-water diversion ditch.  Buffer zones are streamside areas requiring special projection from sediment damage.  An undisturbed, vegetative buffer zone is required on many of our streams, and information can be attained by contacting Development Services. The main objective is to keep your mud on your property and establish groundcover quickly. 

It is important to have stable, artificial slopes on developed land.  The County has minimum requirements that graded slopes and fills must be planned and constructed so they will remain stable for a reasonable life span.  Construction of safe, stable properties is a valuable economic consideration for property owners as well as to the citizens of Haywood County.  It is the intent of the Slope Ordinance to implement reasonable standards that will result in consistent, base levels of construction on developed land, while decreasing the potential for damage to natural resources and properties adjoining tracts containing artificial slope construction.

Development Services can help you determine if there are special considerations for your construction project. It is important to know if your property is located in a protected public water supply watershed or in a flood plain.  Development Services administers several land-use ordinances that may require special permits prior to the start of construction.

  • Protected Water Supply Watershed Area
  • Special Flood Hazard Area
  • Protected Ridge
  • Subdivision and Pre-Development
  • Manufactured Home Parks
  • Erosion Permit
  • Slope Permit

Contact ⇨ Development Services
828 452-6632

The list of development activities contained on this page are common ones associated with building, but there are others not listed here you may encounter in your project.  The department list will give you an idea of the activity each regulates.You should always obtain proper permits from the right department BEFORE PERFORMING THE WORK. Some development activities require multiple permits, if the location has multiple regulations. 

Steep slopes, high quality waters, and complex terrain and topography can present difficulties during the development process.Good planning is crucial to the success of your project. Start your planning process early to avoid delays and difficulties, and you may save money by “doing it right the first time”.

Who pics

No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure or service system within the jurisdiction of the Inspections Department without first applying for and obtaining a permit for such.
[G.S. 143-148(b), 153A-357, 160A-417]

  • Commercial and Residential Permits
  • New Construction
  • Additions and Alterations
  • Manufactured Homes
  • Recreational Vehicles
  • Retaining Walls
  • Electrical Installations
  • Mechanical Installations
  • Plumbing Installations

The jurisdiction of  the Haywood County Inspections Department includes all of Haywood County with the exception of the city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction of the Town of Waynesville.

Contact ⇨ Inspections
828 452-6638


  • Fire Sprinklers
  • Commercial Fire Alarm Systems
  • Commercial Kitchen Hoods
  • Tents for Group Assembly
  • Burning Permits
  • Explosives Permits
  • Fireworks Permits
  • Fire Prevention Inspections

Contact  ⇨ Fire Marshal
828  452-6717


  • Soil Site Evaluations
  • Septic System Permits, including repairs
  • Well permits and water supply testing
  • Food and Lodging permits

A septic and well permit are required prior to obtaining a building permit

Contact  ⇨  Environmental Health
828 452-6682