Fire Marshal

The Fire Control Office oversees the day-to-day functioning of the County Fire Marshal, who enforces all North Carolina Fire Codes. For more information, you may contact Haywood County Fire Marshal.

Burning Permits

For information on obtaining a burning permit, you may contact the Fire Marshal’s Office or the North Carolina Forest Service at 919-627-6551, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Burning permits are available online at: Online Burning Permit Application

Emergency Situations

To report all fires, all hazardous material incidents, and all emergency situations, call 911.

Fire Departments

For information on any of the 13 county fire departments, contact the Fire Marshal’s Office.

Fire Prevention

The Fire Control Department offers programs to any group or organization as well as to individuals on fire safety, fire prevention. To schedule a program or to obtain additional information on the programs offered, contact the Fire Marshal’s Office.

Is Burning Permitted Today?

Is burning permitted today? Please call the Haywood County Fire Marshal's office for more information regarding the types of burning permitted today and the hours such burning may occur.

North Carolina Forest Service

The North Carolina Forest Service operates an office in Clyde. For information pertaining to Forest Service activities, you may contact County Forest Ranger Matt Hooper at 919-627-6551, or visiting the North Carolina Forest Service website.

Types of Burning Permitted

You may contact the Fire Marshal’s Office to obtain information on types of materials that you may burn, as well as the specifics on the area in which you may burn. Under North Carolina General Statute, the only burning allowed is the burning of natural vegetation, in its natural state. It is a violation of state law to burn building materials, tires, or trash.