Each Inspector with the Haywood County Inspection Department is certified by the State of North Carolina to inspect building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical trades in both residential and commercial applications.
No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure, or service system within the jurisdiction of the Haywood County Inspections Department without first applying for and obtaining a permit for such.
[G.S. 143-138(b), 153A-357, 160A-417].
When the General Statutes require that general construction, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, fire protection, or gas work be performed by an appropriately licensed individual, no permit for such type work shall be issued to an unlicensed person or firm. No permit for a building intended for rent, lease or sale will be issued to an unlicensed person or firm.
[G.S. 87-14, 87-21(e), 87-431, 153A-134, 153A-357, 160A-194, 160A-417]
Applying for a Building Permit
When applying for a building permit within the jurisdiction of the Haywood County Inspections Department, the following documentation shall be required:
- Plans and specifications for project
- Completed permit application
- Affidavit of Workers' Compensation Coverage or Coverage Letter from Insurance Company if project is over $30,000.00
- Appointment of NC Lien Agent from www.liensnc.com when required
- Wastewater (Septic Tank) approval from Environmental Health or appropriate sanitary district
- Well approval from Environmental Health or appropriate sanitary district
- Land disturbing permit
- Watershed and/or Flood Hazard permit as required
In addition to the above, provide approval for construction from the respective zoning authorities for the following areas:
- Town of Clyde (city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction) www.clydenc.us
- Town of Canton (city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction, and/or Flood Hazard Permitting) www.cantonnc.com
- Town of Maggie Valley (city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction and/or Flood Hazard Permitting) www.maggievalleync.gov
(Contractor and sub-contractor privilege license information available at Maggie Valley Town Hall)
- Lake Junaluska Assembly Grounds www.lakejunaluska.com/about_us/community/assembly_public_works/
- Junaluska Sanitary District jsdwater.org
- Maggie Valley Sanitary District maggiewater.myruralwater.com
Note: Plans and specifications may be required to be sealed by a Professional Engineer or Architect at the Inspections Department's discretion.
Volumes I - X of the North Carolina State Building Code shall apply.
The jurisdiction of the Haywood County inspections Department includes all of Haywood County with the following exceptions:
- Town of Waynesville (city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction)
When building in these areas, contact the Town of Waynesville Building Inspections Department at: 828-456-8647 or www.waynesvillenc.gov