Genealogy & Local History
The Mountaineer Newspaper Online
Access The Mountaineer newspaper online, from anywhere, with the Community History Archive. From 1880-2020, search for people, places, and events, and discover more about Haywood County history. This immense resource was made possible by the Laurence W. Ross Testamentary Trust.
The Canton Enterprise Newspaper Online
The Canton Historical Museum and Western Carolina University have partnered to digitize The Canton Enterprise. The 1919 edition is now available and more will be digitized soon!
Haywood County History Collection
The Haywood County History Collection is a body of photos, documents, and music documenting the history of Haywood County, which began as a contribution to a book marking the 200th birthday of Haywood County. Enjoy this glimpse into our mountain region’s colorful history with:
- Cemetery, obituary, and veteran records
- Music heritage
Access additional Haywood County images, memorabilia, and newspapers on DigitalNC. If you have items to submit for consideration, contact Library Director Kathy Vossler at 828-356-2504.
- Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society Aims to preserve the history of Americans with African ancestry, this site offers free charts, forms, articles, and information about local chapters. There is also a helpful section on oral history, with resources, links, and how-to guides.
- Ancestry Library The world’s largest family history resource is available for searching while in library branches. Search vital, census, military, and immigration records, as well as city directories, newspapers, and more. To access Ancestry from home, you must pay a subscription fee. ProQuest is offering free remote access, from outside the library, through March 31, 2021.
- Atlas of Historical County Boundaries The boundaries of counties within the United States have changed over the centuries. This site shows how and when county boundaries changed to learn the correct place to look for the genealogical records to conduct your research.
- The Family History Guide Enjoy a step-by-step learning system for FamilySearch, Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast. Helpful videos and articles are provided for over 60 countries and all U.S. states. Over 200 family history activity ideas are included for families, teens, and children, all free to you.
- FamilySearch Discover your family’s story through historical records with free family history and genealogical records. Download the Family Tree app to connect with your ancestors, wherever you are. The Haywood County Public Library is a FamilySearch Affiliate, meaning you may access additional images only available to affiliate libraries. Discover the FamilySearch Help Center for short video downloads about getting started in genealogy and much more!
- Haywood County Historical and Genealogical Society, Inc A nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving information and serving the citizens of Haywood County. Contact President Mike McLean at MEMcLean@aol.com or 828-275-4057.
- HeritageQuest Online Search city directories, census records, Revolutionary War records, and more.
- National Archives and Records Administration The nation’s record keeper, NARA provides public access to government records with a plethora of genealogical resources that are free and available for public use, including Census records, immigration records, ethnic heritage information, land records, and more. In its genealogy section, NARA also offers charts, forms, documents, and videos about how to get started in this kind of research.
- North Carolina Genealogical Society Supporting North Carolina family history research since 1974.
- ThoughtCo Explore your heritage with genealogy tutorials, database recommendations, surname meanings, search strategies, and ancestry charts.
- US GenWeb Project - Haywood County The USGenWeb Project is a group of volunteers working together to provide free online genealogy help and information for every U.S. state and county since 1996.
1940 Census The National Archive that provides full access to the 1940 census images, maps, and descriptions.
BillionGraves The world’s largest resource for searchable GPS cemetery data, and growing bigger and better every day. Help by collecting headstone images from local and other cemeteries, and then transcribe the personal information found on the images.
Find a Grave Search for your ancestors among 170 million grave records.
Haywood County Register of Deeds
Search the Haywood County Register of Deeds for vital records, real estate records, and much more.
North Carolina National Center for Health Statistics Locate birth, death, marriage, and divorce records.