Health Education & Healthy Haywood
The Health Education section works to promote wellness and improve health in Haywood County by providing education and implementing programs at Haywood County Health & Human Services Agency and in community settings.
Contact us to learn more about programs and services we offer, including:
- Diabetes Prevention and Diabetes Empowerment Education Programs; (see information about classes in September 2019 in the column at right)
- Tobacco cessation and blood pressure management counseling;
- Community-based health classes, participation at health fairs, and educational displays and materials upon request;
- Access to up-to-date health statistics, data and information;
- Grant-funded projects partnering with community-based organizations relating to worksite wellness (Mountainwise) and Opioid Post-Overdose Outreach (NC Harm Reduction Coalition).
Healthy Haywood is a community coalition whose mission is to improve the health of Haywood County residents. Healthy Haywood is based on the concept that community members are the most qualified to prioritize the health concerns in their community and to plan and implement solutions to these problems. The coalition creates health improvement plans that include programs, activities and support for policies addressing health concerns in the county.
The Health Education section documents the community health improvement process and the work of Healthy Haywood via the Community Health Assessment and State of the County Health reports.
To become a part of this coalition, contact Health Education Specialist Megan Hauser at email@example.com.
Community Health Information, Data and Resources
The following reports summarize the health of our community using current health data and input from the community. Contact us for access to more data.
- 2018 Community Health Assessment
- 2017 State of the County Health Report
- 2016 State of the County Health Report
- 2015 Community Health Assessment
Haywood County Resources
Haywood County Food Resources
United Way 2-1-1
It's a free, easy-to-remember phone number connecting callers with health and human services in their community.
When you dial 2-1-1, you will talk to a trained resource specialist who has access to comprehensive database listings of nearly all health and human services that exist in North Carolina. This includes but is not limited to: rent and utility assistance, food, emergency shelters, where to get employment help, medical and mental health assistance, and help with transportation.
You can also get information on affordable child care, information about caring for an aging relative, or help recovering from a disaster.
Information and referral is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the year. Information can be provided in over 90 different languages.
You can also look through this list to find resources available in Haywood County. Full data is available upon request. Call 828-452-6620.
Haywood County Health and Human Services is an equal opportunity provider and employer.